I’m trying to get a fair amount of things done for the day, so I’ll keep it short and sweet with a Q&A. I’ve been sleeping 7-8 hours everyday this week and it’s wonderful. Photograph captions for the images above: (1) The ocean, (2) Raw cacao bar, (2) Morning Favorites: Rose quartz face roller, rose oil, CBD oil.
- Who is your hero? My mother.
- If you could live anywhere, where would it be? My current home! San Diego, CA.
- What is your biggest fear? Not meeting the love of my life.
- What is your favorite family vacation? We didn’t really go on “vacations” as a kid, but we would would go visit my aunt in Boston during long weekends – that stands out. We once all went to St. Thomas (close to Puerto Rico) together when I was like 3, but I can’t remember it.
- What would you change about yourself if you could? I would have learned to lean into rest earlier.
- What really makes you angry? Being taken advantage of/ taken for granted.
- What motivates you to work hard? The ocean. The prospect of giving my family a reprieve. Rest.
- What is your favorite thing about your career?Learning about different investigational products and how they could impact a patient’s well-being if a clinical trial delivers promising data.
- What is your biggest complaint about your job? Too much travel.
- What is your proudest accomplishment? Getting published in the Journal of Community Psychology.
- What is your child’s proudest accomplishment? N/A
- What is your favorite book to read? One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez
- What makes you laugh the most? Silly things. Simple things. Complex things. A lot of things make me laugh!
- What was the last movie you went to? What did you think? The Joker. It was genius.
- What did you want to be when you were small? A dancer.
- What does your child want to be when he/she grows up? N/A
- If you could choose to do anything for a day, what would it be? A writer/ an author. Someone who makes a living from their writing.
- What is your favorite game or sport to watch and play? I’m not into watching sports, but I love the energy of the world cup.
- Would you rather ride a bike, ride a horse, or drive a car? I’m inclined to say ride a horse, but I’ve only done that once. So I have to go with ride a bike.
- What would you sing at Karaoke night? Anything.
- What two radio stations do you listen to in the car the most? A Spanish radio station and Top 40 (pop). I don’t listen to the radio much. I prefer to listen to my playlists.
- Which would you rather do: wash dishes, mow the lawn, clean the bathroom, or vacuum the house? Vacuum the house. You can make a dance party out of it!
- If you could hire someone to help you, would it be with cleaning, cooking, or yard work? Cooking and cleaning. I can’t choose one or the other. I add both into my life – but help with either would lead to more rest.
- If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be? What a cruel question. Life is about variety! But if I had to? Shrimp.
- Who is your favorite author? Gabriel García Márquez and David Foster Wallace. I know the phrasing of the question made it so that I would choose only one, but I’m bi-cultural (Latina + American) and I have a different preference in each of my cultures.
26. Have you ever had a nickname? What is it? My parents and close family members call me Wandy. My grandmother and one of my cousins used to call me Beverly.
27. Do you like or dislike surprises? Why or why not? Yes. Life is full of them and it keeps it interesting.
28. In the evening, would you rather play a game, visit a relative, watch a movie, or read? I’d rather go to the beach, go running, go to yoga. But given the choices: read.
29. Would you rather vacation in Hawaii or Alaska, and why? Alaska. I’ve already been to Hawaii and live rather close (6 hour non-stop flight via Southwest at SAN!). Alaska is 1/4 US states I haven’t been to.
30. Would you rather win the lottery or work at the perfect job? And why? Win the lottery. It would free up my time to work on all of my interests at once. It would also give me the opportunity to live a life of service.
31. Who would you want to be stranded with on a deserted island? Nick.
32. If money was no object, what would you do all day? Write. Spend extensive time in the ocean. Hospice work – death doula. Slow travel (for leisure not for work). Spend time with all of my friends as often as possible. Cultivate community. Exercise for longer than 60 – 90 minutes – sweat feels good. Get my RYT certification and teach free yoga community classes.
33. If you could go back in time, what year would you travel to? Ancient Egypt.
34. How would your friends describe you? Intelligent. Empathetic. Sweet. Mysterious. Intense.
35. What are your hobbies? Yoga. Reading. Learning. Hiking. Blogging. Moving. Spending time befriending the ocean.
36. What is the best gift you have been given? Life.
37. What is the worst gift you have received? I don’t know.
38. Aside from necessities, what one thing could you not go a day without? A creative outlet.
39. List two pet peeves. 1. Lack of a response, 2. Taking things for granted
40. Where do you see yourself in five years? In a state of happiness
41. How many pairs of shoes do you own? 10
42. If you were a super-hero, what powers would you have? Time-travel
43. What would you do if you won the lottery? Pay for all of my family and close friends student loans, then set myself and family up to live a stress-free life.
44. What form of public transportation do you prefer? (air, boat, train, bus, car, etc.) Train – though I use air the most.
45. What’s your favorite zoo animal? Red Panda.
46. If you could go back in time to change one thing, what would it be? I would allow myself to be in my weirdness way earlier.
47. If you could share a meal with any 4 individuals, living or dead, who would they be? Anthony Bourdain, Shia LaBeouf, Jason Silva, Joan Didion
48. How many pillows do you sleep with? 4
49. What’s the longest you’ve gone without sleep (and why)? 72 hours. My computer crashed amidst writing a paper and nothing saved 🙂
50. What’s the tallest building you’ve been to the top in? Been in a lot of tall buildings – don’t know the tallest.
51. Would you rather trade intelligence for looks or looks for intelligence? I don’t want to answer this. But from an opportunist POV, looks will get you further in the society we’ve created.
52. How often do you buy clothes? Once a month
53. Have you ever had a secret admirer? Yes
54. What’s your favorite holiday? Christmas
55. What’s the most daring thing you’ve ever done? Fall in love
56. What was the last thing you recorded on TV? I don’t really watch TV!
57. What was the last book you read? Braving the Wilderness: The Quest for True Belonging and the Courage to Stand Alone by Brené Brown
58. What’s your favorite type of foreign food? Japanese
59. Are you a clean or messy person? Relatively clean
60. Who would you want to play you in a movie of your life? Priyanka Chopra or Penelope Cruz
61. How long does it take you to get ready in the morning? Depends on where I’m going
62. What kitchen appliance do you use every day? There is not a single kitchen appliance I use on the daily. I don’t drink coffee.
63. What’s your favorite fast food chain? Chipotle
64. What’s your favorite family recipe? Don’t know
65. Do you love or hate rollercoasters? Love
66. What’s your favorite family tradition? Celebrating Christmas on Christmas eve
67. What is your favorite childhood memory? Playing in my nanny’s garden
68. What’s your favorite movie? Richard Linklater’s Before Series
69. How old were you when you learned Santa wasn’t real? How did you find out? I never believed in Santa – “Jesus in the reason for the season” is all I was told.
70. Is your glass half full or half empty? Both
71. What’s the craziest thing you’ve done in the name of love? *Laughter* I’ll publish a book about it someday? Everything. Anything. I’ve certainly been a fool for love.
72. What three items would you take with you on a deserted island? A lighter. A knife. A means of communication with the outside world.
73. What was your favorite subject in school? Literature.
74. What’s the most unusual thing you’ve ever eaten? I no longer eat meat, but when I did: chicken gizzards.
75. Do you collect anything? Experiences
76. Is there anything you wished would come back into fashion? Kindness
77. Are you an introvert or an extrovert? Ambivert
78. Which of the five senses would you say is your strongest? Touch
79. Have you ever had a surprise party? (that was an actual surprise) Yes
80. Are you related or distantly related to anyone famous? Yes. Enrique Laguerre. Grandmother’s cousin. He wasn’t a celebrity though. Just one of Puerto Rico’s most renown writers.
81. What do you do to keep fit? Yoga. Running. HIIT. Kickboxing. <Anything that makes me sweat>.
82. Does your family have a “motto” – spoken or unspoken? The space in between “let it be” and “just do it”.
83. If you were ruler of your own country what would be the first law you would introduce? Respect for thyself includes respect of the Earth.
84. Who was your favorite teacher in school and why? Professor Brooks. Just visit his website: https://rajanaka.com/
85. What three things do you think of the most each day? Mortality. Love. Time.
86. If you had a warning label, what would yours say? Handle with care (though it doesn’t appear as such!)
87. What song would you say best sums you up? Unsure.
88. What celebrity would you like to meet at Starbucks for a cup of coffee? Shia LaBeouf.
89. Who was your first crush? Miguel from 3rd grade. A kid who was in my class whom I tutored – for math.
90. What’s the most interesting thing you can see out of your office or kitchen window? I don’t go into an office and there’s no window in my kitchen. But theoretically, people. I think people are fascinating.
91. On a scale of 1-10 how funny would you say you are? 5
92. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? Happy and of service.
93. What was your first job? Research Assistant in the Department of Neuro-engineering in 2006.
94. If you could join any past or current music group which would you want to join? Fleetwood Mac
95. How many languages do you speak? 2
96. What is your favorite family holiday tradition? Celebrating Christmas on Christmas eve
97. Who is the most intelligent person you know? My friend Matt or my friend Nick
98. If you had to describe yourself as an animal, which one would it be? Snow Leopard
99. What is one thing you will never do again? Harm myself to please others.
100. Who knows you the best? My friend Matt or my friend Nick
Bonus question: What is the grey background that sometimes appears on my photos? It’s my weighted blanket from Bearaby. It’s incredible!